The Birth Of A Punkin

As I am sitting here folding my laundry, a new movie has come on the T.V. Another movie where the ending is basically all about the birth of the couple's first baby, and it quickly brings me back to when I had Haley. And I realized that I have never shared anything about Punkin before the days of starting this blog. So over time, I will slowly share the moments of when Punkin was an itty, bitty Punkin. And it only makes sense to start with the day she was born (leaving out certain details, of course)...

Let me just start by saying that through my whole pregnancy, I was TERRIFIED of giving birth! You hear about all of this '"stuff" happening when having a vaginal delivery, and I was definitely not looking forward to any of it. So much so that I had already convinced myself that I just wanted to have a c-section, and even talked about it with my doctor and convinced her to give me one. Everyone I know has had one so I figured it couldn't be that bad. And I also figured that everything would stay in good form down below, while also avoiding certain awkward moments in the delivery room. However, I also know that having a c-section is major surgery and why put myself (and the baby) through that if I didn't have to? It was a hard decision. Of course, it didn't help that I was watching every baby show known to man. I'm talking, watching women in labor and deliveries ALL day long! And I was googling every little thing I saw and heard. I felt so confident of how everything happens and what to do, that I probably could have delivered a few babies myself at that point! I was completely obsessed. It got to the point where Jeremy felt the need to block TLC and The Discovery Channel from our television (which of course did not last long!).

So, for most of my pregnancy, my due date had always been April 9, 2009. I know that it is extremely rare that a child is born on their actual due date, however, I was happy that my due date wasn't fluctuating all over the place. Besides, I had really wanted her to be born on the 9th since that is also my Dad's birthday. My last month of pregnancy was definitely the longest. I worked up until I was 9 1/2 months along (with a classroom full of two-year-olds!!!) and probably would have kept going had I not been put on bed rest (that is another story that we will save for later). I had been having a perfect, normal pregnancy with no issues at all up until that point. It wasn't the extreme bed rest where I had to lie on my back very still until the baby was born. It was more like the no heavy lifting, take it easy, kind of bed rest...which I probably should have been doing anyway. I didn't find this task to be too difficult. I couldn't do much of anything, even if I wanted to. My belly looked (and felt) like I had a huge, over-sized watermelon attached to me and everything took at least 15 minutes longer to do. I was winded and tired after just walking up the stairs or trying to tie my shoes. And shaving my legs? That was a major workout just in itself! I knew my baby was going to be about 8 pounds around the time of delivery. I also knew she was going to be tall! Heck, her legs and feet had already been sticking up all through my ribcage for the last 3 months of pregnancy! So I finally talked to my doctor about being induced. I mean, what if I waited for labor to come naturally and my baby ended up being like 2 weeks overdue? I definitely did not want to be giving birth to a 10 pound baby. Especially because at that time I had decided on having a vaginal delivery. I was going to leave all my worries and fears in God's hands. If it was meant for me to have a c-section, than that's what would happen. So after talking to my doctor, we agreed on a date for the induction. It would be on the 6th of April (which was only a couple of days before my actual due date anyway), which was a Tuesday. Now let the anxiety and nervousness begin...

It was probably the first time in my life where I experienced every emotion known to man. I was nervous, anxious, excited, happy, relieved, scared...and that's just naming a few. Finally, it was time. My family decided to come out to Vegas from California for the joyous event. It was their first grandchild, after all! On both sides, actually. So saying that everyone was excited, would definitely be an understatement! My family would have only been able to stay one night since my Dad had to be at work at 5am on Thursday morning. And even though we made a lot of arrangements for the big day, mentally preparing myself was not quite so easy. That took a lot. I mean, this is my first baby we are talking about here. Even though I had worked with kids from ages one to fifteen for 7 years, I knew having my own was going to be a whole different experience. My appointment was at Noon. My parents stayed at our house til receiving the call that everything was in place, while Jeremy and I headed to his parent's house to drop off the dog. After a couple of pictures and some hugs, we headed to the hospital. While we were driving, I get a call from a staff member at the hospital. The conversation went a little something like this:


"Hi, Ms. Benson. This is from Summerlin Hospital. Just thought I would let you know that we need to hold off on inducing you."


"It seems that everyone has decided to go into labor today and we have no beds available."


"I'm sorry about that."

"So what am I supposed to do? We are already on our way...do we just turn around, go home and wait for someone to call me?"


Was I upset? Yes. Was I disappointed? Of course. Was a bit angry? You bet. I mean, there was so much planning involved, not to mention trying to get myself prepared. But take the frustration and annoyance that I felt, multiply that by 10, and that was how Jeremy was feeling! His response to the conversation I just had? "We'll just take you to a different hospital." To which I replied, "we can't do that, my doctor delivers at that hospital." "So we'll get you a different doctor. We're not going back there.", he said. "Ummm...it doesn't work that way!". I understood his frustration. But I also knew that things like that happen and there isn't much we can do. Except wait. So we go home and break the news to everyone. And all we can do is wait. By this time, I am starving since I haven't ate anything all day (because you're not supposed to, definitely by no choice of my own!) but I refrain from pulling out one of the Hawaiian bread sweet rolls that I keep stocked in the pantry. Instead, I just wait. And wait...and wait. Finally, around 4 o'clock in the afternoon I get tired of waiting (so does everyone else) and I call the hospital. "Is this going to happen today or what?", I ask. Finally, my doctor calls me back and tells me that it won't be happening that day and they scheduled me for 10 0'clock the next morning . So we celebrate by going out for pizza with both of our families. And you know what? It was the best pizza I have ever had in my whole life!

So, it's the next day and we are ready to try it again. We get to the hospital and they check me in. I get settled into my room and now we have the green light. No turning back now. After what had happened the day before, I am less nervous and just very anxious to get this whole thing over with. I guess it worked out for the best. I was a little disappointed, however, that she wasn't going to be sharing the same birthday as my Dad. So now let's just get to the good part. While I was in labor, I had three (yes, three!) epidurals. That's three times I got a huge needle jammed into my spine. And none of them worked!!! The first one worked a little for about 30 minutes, although I was still able to move my legs and wiggle my toes...which apparently is not supposed to happen. I was also informed that the baby's head was tilted to the side. I asked if that would make it hard during delivery and I was told that her head would fall into place as she was coming through the birth canal. Well, that didn't happen. Basically after being in labor for 12 hours, it was time to push. Except because of the position of her head, I ended up having to push for an hour, making my whole labor time 13 hours. All I remember at the end was being surrounded by about 10 nurses, one of which jumped up on top of me, sat on my chest and was pushing down on my stomach. After Punkin was born, I remember looking at Jeremy and the first thing I asked was if she was okay and he said yes. Apparently she came out head and one shoulder. The other shoulder was stuck which was also causing the cord to be trapped and wrapped around her neck (I knew I should have had a c-section!!!). My Mom was also in the room with me during the delivery. At first, I had told her that I wasn't comfortable having anyone in the room, but towards the end it didn't make any difference at all. I wasn't paying attention to anyone or anything. In fact, for all I knew there could have been a whole football team in there witnessing everything while a 10.0 earthquake was taking place. I wouldn't have noticed. I did feel bad though, because right after the delivery my family had to get in the car and drive back to California right away so my Dad could make it to work (they came back on the weekend). He made it just in time. Haley Jade was born 15 minutes after Midnight on April 9th, 2009. Thank goodness she was is stubborn and waited til her exact due date. Because she shares her birthday with her Grandpa Benson. She weighed 8 pounds, 1 ounce and was 21 inches long. And looking back at everything...I would do it all again in a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment